Students studying at UTC Derby will study a combination of GCSEs and A Levels alongside a technical qualification in their chosen specialism.
Specialising in Engineering and Health and Life Sciences
We recently introduced our Health and Life Sciences Academy to compliment our Engineering offer.
Our Engineering specialism has been developed with global employers and has already helped our students to progress to high quality apprenticeships and places on top Engineering courses at universities around the UK.
Now with the help of University of Derby and the NHS we are developing a Health and Life Sciences Academy to prepare our students for the many opportunities that exist in the biomedical and related scientific fields.
As digital technologies continue to open up a world of possibilities in the engineering and scientific fields, we are mindful of future jobs that will emerge in areas like bioengineering. Our graduates could be helping to design ground-breaking prosthetic joints for people who have lost limbs or designing new medical imaging techniques to help with cancer diagnoses. We want to give our students every opportunity to be at the forefront of this digital industrial revolution known as Industry 4.0.
Our curriculum offer, including employer-led projects, university challenges and enrichment activities, is designed to give students a well-rounded education to open up the best possible opportunities for future study and career progression.
In Year 9, our students complete Key Stage 3 whilst also focusing on early skills development within specialisms.
Key Stage 4
Students begin Key stage 4 in Year 10 studying a combination of GCSEs and technical qualifications.
- Engineering: OCR Cambridge Nationals in Engineering Manufacture and Design
- Health & Life Sciences:
- NFCE CACHE Level 1/2 Health & Social Care
- NFCE CACHE Level 2 Award in Relationships Sex and Health Education
- English Language
- English Literature
- Sciences (Biology, Physics and Chemistry leading to GCSE combined or Triple Science*)
- Digital Information Technology (DIT) (Including non-examined projects on coding and prosthetics)
*Students studying Health and Life Sciences will major on triple Science
- Design and Technology
- Engineering Programmable Systems
- Cambridge National Level 2 Certificate in Sport Science
Some GCSE options are dependent on target grades*
Students will also have allocated lesson time for Careers Information, Advice and Guidance, Citizenship, PSHE (Personal, Social and Health Education), Sports and Physical Education, alongside time for independent study and enrichment activities called Global Cultural Learning. This forms our Pastoral Curriculum Programme.
During their tutor time students will work on Lessons in Financial Education (LiFE) that aims to ensure more students gain valuable financial awareness.
At Key Stage 5 students will study a Level 3 technical qualification in their specialist area alongside up to three A Levels or a T Level depending on each student’s ambitions.
- Engineering: Level 3 BTEC in Engineering or T Level in Design and Development for Engineering and Manufacturing
- Health & Life Sciences: Level 3 BTEC Extended Certificate in Applied Science and Level 3 BTEC Diploma in Health & Social Care
A Level Choices
- Further Maths*
- English Literature*
- Computer Science*
- Product Design*
- Level 3 Core Maths
- Level 3 Extended Project*
Please note, the course offer for both KS4 and KS5 may be reviewed as part of the UTC’s long-term commitment to securing the best outcomes for students.